Maker's Mark gets schooled

For those of you who may not be aware of such things, there are three quality levels of whiskey.  First there is the bottom shelf kind.  It's main attribute is that it is cheap.  It tastes vaguely like kerosene, leaves behind a dreadful headache and is a good indication that the drinker needs to seek out a good 12 step program.

Second there are the middle-shelf brands.  This is the every-day stuff for those so inclined, or, for the occasional nipper, the bottle that you keep around for company or special occasions.  It satisfies the palate without breaking the budget.

Finally there is top-shelf whiskey.  Most people won't buy it for themselves because because of price.  It does, however, make a delightful birthday or Christmas gift for that discerning individual in your life who truly appreciates a fine Kentucky bourbon.  Maker's Mark is one of those premier brands.

Recently Maker's Mark announced that it would meet increasing demand by adding water.  They assured their customers that there would be no change in the taste.  It will come as  no surprise that customers had a bad reaction.

From The Blaze:


Rob Samuels, Maker’s Mark’s chief operating officer, said Sunday that it is restoring the alcohol volume of its product to its historic level of 45 percent, or 90 proof. Last week, it said it was lowering the amount to 42 percent, or 84 proof, because of a supply shortage.

“We’ve been tremendously humbled over the last week or so,” 


Now for those of you who couldn't care less about whiskey, there is a greater lesson to be learned here.  People like what they like for a reason and they don't want the stuff they REALLY like f&^#ked  with.  Big-box stores have improved our spending power in many ways, but they have come at a terrible price.  Quality, American-made stuff has disappeared from the shelves and has been replaced by cheap, Chinese crap.  Don't blame the political class.  The retailers are giving people what they want.

Am I a grumpy old curmudgeon?  Damn straight I am and I'm proud of it.  I'm sick and tired of cheap Chinese crap that breaks 5 minutes after you get it home.  I don't mind paying a fair price for quality, and it pisses me off when I can't find it.  I like my Christmas and Birthday presents and I can add my own water thank you very much.

 Good for you, Maker's Mark.  You did the right thing after aficionados whopped a knot on your head.

◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 a Fingerpost is proudly powered by blogger.com