Bob Bennett kicked to the curb

Pundits of all stripes are stumbling all over themselves to spin the defeat of incumbent Senator Bob Bennett in the Utah Republican primary. This take from MarketWatch is fairly typical:

Conservatives sharpen knives after Bennett's ouster

"WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Emboldened conservatives are sharpening their knives and looking to upcoming contests in Kentucky, California and other states following Saturday's tea party-backed defeat of veteran lawmaker Republican Sen. Robert Bennett in Utah."

With all due respect to all of you guys with big, giant brains, I think you have a touch of, "Beltway Dementia." As always, I'm more than happy to clarify it for you.

Utah is arguably the most Conservative state in the union. Bob Bennett was a big-spending, 3-term incumbent who had no qualms voting against the will of the people in his state. So they fired him. It's pretty much that simple. Sometimes the system actually works.

As for what it means for other states and their Republican primaries, I don't care to speculate. They get to pick whomever they want, and it's really none of my business. What I can say is that people are really pissed at the federal government right now and incumbent necks are in danger of being parted.

Oh, and Claire--I know you are a fan of Fingerpost--you are going down in 2012. Count on it...
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 a Fingerpost is proudly powered by blogger.com