Whatever happened to the pork flu crisis?

A few weeks back you couldn't turn on the TV without seeing Kathleen Sebelius telling us that we were all going to die if we didn't get vaccinated and sneeze into the crook of our arm. Now there is barely a peep out of the administration.

What changed?

I've got a theory. Want to hear it?

Too bad. It's my blog and I'll theorize as I see fit.

I think the Administration is no longer talking up the pig flu crisis because the vaccine isn't available the way they assured us it would be. Who wants to highlight a government failure when the government is trying to take over the entire health care system?

But pork flu kinda is a real crisis for some people. Check out what this guy had to say in the Southeast Missourian:

"The doctor overseeing my health care advised me to get an H1N1 flu shot. I've been under a six-year treatment program for a chronic infection, plus I have heart and lung problems. Therefore, I am considered a high risk. Fortunately, my doctor had three shots available, but I would have to get approval from my county health department. Much to my surprise, the woman at the health department apologized and told me that even though I was a senior citizen at high risk, the health department had been instructed to approve shots only for children and pregnant mothers. I asked when a shot for my situation might be available. "We really don't know. Check back with us sometime in December."

And who is it that is laying out the vaccine rules for the various health departments? You guessed it--Kathleen Sebelius and the Department of Health and Human services.

Suddenly that, "death panel," comment doesn't seem quite so outrageous, does it?
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 a Fingerpost is proudly powered by blogger.com