
No, I'm not talking about the president's foreign policy, though I can understand why a person might jump to that conclusion. I'm talking about would-be power brokers in the Republican establishment rushing to the microphone to criticize Sarah Palin's resignation as governor of Alaska.
Governor Mike Huckabee surely trampled a number of innocent bystanders in his rush to the camera. As is typical of Baptist preachers, he speaks as one who is without sin of his own and is incapable of human error. But he violated Reagan's first commandment-- "Thou shalt not criticize another Republican." For that I send him to the back of the line.
The others were not much better, and that is why they will continue to languish in obscurity. They ridicule a clear voice of Conservatism but only tepidly challenge the most liberal president in the history of America as he runs roughshod over the economy. What a bunch of candy-asses.
I have no clue what Governor Palin has in mind. If I were her, I would sell books, hit the speaking circuit and make a ton of money for her family's security. That's what being a wife and mother is all about, isn't it? What I do know is that she alone can pack a stadium with enthused Conservatives. More important, she can get them to open their wallets. At the very least she has cast herself in the role of king maker. Huckabee, Romney et al will line up to kiss her shapely butt before you know it. They cannot win in 2012 without her endorsement.
For my part, I kinda hope Sarah gets out of politics. She's got class and her kids deserve better than the media shit-storm that national candidates must live with in the current environment. History will decide if her decision was shrewd or inept, but at least she lives her life on her own terms. I wish her well.